One of the parenting columns I wrote for Sunday LifeStyle that got the most reaction from readers, was the one on surviving without a maid, while working full-time and being able to cook dinner for the family. My secret? A slow cooker! I had many mums, even dads, writing in to ask for slow cooker recipes.
I subsequently did a follow up story in Sunday LifeStyle featuring three slow cooker recipes my family loved. There wasn’t enough space and I didn’t include this one, on a hearty chicken stew. So here it is, in case you missed the other recipes, or would like to try this one.
It makes for a perfect comforting and nourishing dinner on a cold, winter evening. We don’t get that in Singapore, nevertheless, we still enjoy the dish. 🙂
Hearty Chicken Stew
Half chicken chopped into small parts (NTUC can do it for you, deskinned etc)
1 large carrot
3 stalks celery
1 large onion
1 can of button mushrooms
500-600 ml chicken broth (enough to just cover the ingredients)
Thyme and rosemary, one teaspoon each
3 dried bay leaves
1. Wash chicken parts and set aside. I usually blanch it for clearer gravy if I have the time. If there is really no time I will just wash it.
2. Chop potatoes, carrot, celery and onion into chunks. Place potatoes and carrot at bottom of crock pot.
3. Add chicken to pot, followed by celery, onion and mushrooms.
4. Add broth and ensure it just covers the ingredients.
5. Add herbs and cook on low for eight hours or high for six hours. (Depending on make of cooker, the cooking time may vary.) I sometimes switch it off after 5 hours on high as it is bubbling, and I prefer not to have the chicken meat fall apart.
Note: You can add 2-3 tablespoons of flour together with the ingredients to thicken the soup if you prefer so. I usually serve this with macaroni, so we prefer it soupy. Enjoy!